I suggest you ...

RAILO-215 Support admin API CFC

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/RAILO-215

Railo should provide cfide.adminapi.* CFCs to be compatible with Adobe.

29 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sean CorfieldAdminSean Corfield (Admin, Railo Technologies) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sean CorfieldAdminSean Corfield (Admin, Railo Technologies) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not so much "too hard" as "no requests from users for it". Until yours. FWIW, I think the code generated by CFCGenerator is bad practice because it will lead to a "5-to-1 syndrome" where for every table in your database you typically end up with five CFCs (a bean, a DAO, a gateway, a 'manager' or 'service' and a controller). That's a poor way to design apps. Besides, the DAO/gateway separation is really not considered a good thing these days (and, yes, I know I was the one who originally recommended it, but that was back in 2003 / 2004 and a lot of best practices have changed since then!).

If you really don't want to write SQL by hand, you might consider using the ORM feature instead of code generation...

• Bryn ParrottBryn Parrott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm. I see this thread is quite old.
        And yet I have encountered issues with installing/operating a 3rd party development productivity tool namely CFCGenerator by Brian Rinaldi.
        His Illudium Code generator tool is handy for generating a set of Bean, DAO and Gateway CFC's based on table introspection, and it supports mySQL which is relevant in my current context.

I take it development of a solution to this, by way of developing an emulator in Railo for Adobe's CFIDE admin API is still in the too hard basket ?

• dceplerdcepler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is possible to do.

Actually wrote a compatibility layer for BlueDragon 6.2.1 and updated for basis of OpenBD Admin CFC that Matt Woodward used (http://www.dcepler.net/assets/content/code/BD-AdminAPI-0.1a.zip). It roughly matches up to Adobe CFMX 7 although not complete.

The problem is that there is no defined spec as to the functions and the compatibility layer was reverse engineered through inspecting the cfide.adminapi.* metadata for method signatures. Also needed to map data that was returned from the underlying cfml product back to CFMX 7 or 8 return structures for the method.

The Admin API CFC have always been an under utilized feature because developers CAN NOT make a single web based installer for their product that will work on all CFML.

Feedback and Knowledge Base